Controls Engineer – Full Time Position – Richmond, VA
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Develop designs, specifications, and control schemes for automation equipment and the integration between automation and information systems.
- Author, write, program automation logic to control equipment, machines, and the flow of information.
- Design and install wiring to reliably communicate information between measurement and control element devices and control equipment-PLC programming using Allen Bradley.
- Assist in designing electrical/control-wiring schematics on CAD system-Design of control logic and control schematics.
- Develop Human Machine Interface (HMI) in accordance with the design documents in order to meet the functional requirements.
- Be available for on-call support after normal working hours when needed-Mentor more junior level engineers in areas of expertise.
- Assure high quality in the testing phase.
- Makes customer site visits as necessary to help solve in field issues.
- High awareness of client satisfaction level and client needs.
- Participate in lessons learned meetings with team members after completion of programs/projects.
- Periodic travel up to 25% may be required.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education/ Experience & Qualifications:
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) in Electrical Engineering, Manufacturing, Computer Science or related field and 5 years of experience in a manufacturing or engineering environment that involves motion controls and robotic experience preferably in the packaging automation industry. However, a combination of experience and/or education will be taken into consideration.
- Demonstrated ability to program motion control systems and robotic machines.
- Experience with Fanuc robots preferred.
- Demonstrated competence with robotic and PLC programming (Ladder and structured text).
- Demonstrated competence with current application platforms: AB and/or Elau.
- Strong knowledge of ControlLogix PLC.
- Strong knowledge of complex PLC based motion control.
- Demonstrated competence with mechanical robotic setups and upstream and downstream equipment.
- Demonstrated competence with code standardization and modularization.
- Ability to interact with clients from project initiation through the entire development and manufacturing process.
- High result orientation and cost sensitivity.
- Knowledge of electrical engineering development process utilizing CAD or related engineering software techniques.
- Knowledge of PLC and software development.
- Highly developed customer orientation.